Career Development Award Writing Groups
The Career Development Award Writing Groups assist researchers with the preparation of an NIH K award or other mentored career development award.
Enrollment is open for the next series of TraCS Career Development Award/K Writing Groups.
This series is for individuals planning external grant submissions within the next 6-9 months (February-June, 2019). The writing group is not a series of lectures, but rather a working group in which participants learn to give and receive feedback on sections of each member's grant under the direction of several faculty leaders.
The schedule is geared for individuals planning submission in February 2019, but those who are in earlier stages may begin to participate so they can learn strategies to apply to their future submissions.
NOTE: This group is focused on external grant submissions and not on applications for an internal K award (e.g. TraCS KL2 or BIRCWH). Participants can apply lessons learned to their internal K applications but these will not be specifically addressed in this group.
- Ideas for the grant: Research area, specific research question(s), type of methods you will use (clinical trial, lab-based techniques, existing date, etc.)
- Target agency for submission (NIH, specific foundation, etc.)
- Target date for submission
- Potential mentors, or if help is needed to identify mentors
- For those seeking introductory lectures on developing a research career or grant writing, please see the TraCS Professional Development Series and/or the Basics of Grant Writing Workshop, both open for registration in the UNC Event Registration system: https://apps.research.unc.edu/events/index.cfm
TraCS Career Development Award/K Writing Group Schedule
Sept 28: Developing a Good Research Question
Week of Oct 1: Specific Aims review: Participants review their draft specific aims
Week of Oct 8: Second review of specific aims, tips for developing mentor/career development plans
Week of Oct 22: Review mentor/career development plans, tips for research section
Week of Nov 12: Review research sections, answer questions about research or other elements of the grant
Weeks of Dec 3-10: Mock reviews of developed grant proposals
January 2019: Final questions answered, grants ready for processing by home departments and submission in February. The writing group schedule will be determined for participants targeting later submissions.
Once participants have been confirmed, we will send a Doodle poll to identify the best days and times for the group. The sessions may be held on different days to accommodate participants.