Resources available for new NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy effective Jan 2023
As January 25, 2023the effective date of the new NIH Data Management and Sharing (DMS) Policyapproaches, the NIH continues to develop resources and implementation information to help the community prepare.
The central tenets of the DMS Policy are that investigators and institutions:
- prospectively plan for how they will manage and appropriately share data by developing a Data Management and Sharing Plan (DMS Plan), and
- follow-through with this DMS Plan; prospective planning is key. The goal of this policy is to get investigators thinking about and preparing for data management and data sharing as early as possible. Issues arise when data sharing is only addressed once research is already underway.
Recordings and resource slides for both Part I and II of the webinar series on implementing the new policy are now available:
View resource slide deck — part I (pptx)
View resource slide deck — part II (pptx)
Explore other resources on the NIH Scientific Data Sharing website including:
- Data Management and Sharing Policy Overview - for an overview of policy expectations and where to go for more details
- Statements & Notices - for complete list of leadership statements and guide notices
- FAQs - for a library of answers to frequently asked questions about the DMS Policy
- News & Events - to stay in the loop as new resources and events are announced
While this policy will make great strides towards changing the culture of data sharing, participation from the entire research ecosystem is critical to see real change. From researchers to institutional officials, to data librarians and data curators, to journal publishers to NIH staff, we all have an important role to play.
Visit the NIH Scientific Data Sharing website and subscribe for real-time updates on the latest news, resources, and policy information.
Also, visit research.unc.edu/dms for more information about the policy and resources available at UNC for data sharing and preservationincluding UNC Dataverse, an online tool to assist you in developing/writing a DMS Plan (dmptool.org), sample DMS plans and budgets, and where to go get help with the new data sharing requirements.