UNC's fiscal readiness efforts (previously referred to as Community-Academic Grants Administration Translation (CAGAT)) started in 2012 to improve the grants management infrastructure for community-academic partnered research. We have collaborated with researchers, grant administrators, and community partners to:
- Identify gaps in skills and knowledge related to the pre- and post-award grant period
- Develop resources to improve communication related to and knowledge of policies and responsibilities during a grant-funded research timeline, including the application process and management of funded grants
Academic Researcher's Guide
This guide is designed for academic researchers interested in gaining a greater understanding of the grant submission and management process when conducting federally-funded, community-engaged research.*
The guide is for those seeking to:
- Increase knowledge of the pre- and post-award grants management process for conducting community engaged research
- Improve skills in completing key procedures for submitting and managing grants that involve community consultants or subcontracts with community organizations
- Increase skills in communicating key procedures for submitting and managing grants with community partners
Although the guide is based on the pre- and post-awards process at UNC-Chapel Hill, the information presented may be useful for anyone interested in understanding or improving community-academic research partnerships involving grants management.Download the guide
Community Partner's Guide
Community-engaged research involves partnership-building between community members and academic researchers so that they are better able to communicate about multiple aspects of research.
The Community Partner’s Guide is a resource for any community member working with academic researchers, including those in leadership roles at community-based organizations, faith-based organizations, health-related organizations (e.g. health care practices, health departments, health-related non-profits, hospitals, practice-based research networks, etc.) and other organizations who are interested in community-engaged research.
This guide provides tips on the pre- and post-award grants management process to help improve skills in completing key procedures for submitting and managing grants.Download the guide
Feb 19, 2016 | Introduction to the Academic Researcher's Guide: Tips for Academic Researchers for Navigating the Pre-Award Process | View recorded session
May 19, 2016 | Introduction to the Academic Researcher's Guide: Tips for Communicating with Your Community Partners During the Post-Award Process | View recorded session
The CAGAT Webinar today was one of the best and most professional webinars I’ve participated in... you all did a great job! Information was very well presented. It was a strong panel of presenters.
*This is the inaugural release and may be periodically updated.