Collaborative Research Services
Study Design Consultation
- Review literature to determine relevancy, level of innovation, and likelihood of success in proposed area of research
- Define needs for approval from Institutional Review Board or Animal Care and Use Committee
- Review metadata associated with samples in biorepository for appropriate samples selection
- Provide guidance on
- Sample collection and storage
- Types of analytical methods that best address study needs
- Types of metabolite standards and best positions for isotopic labeling
- Relevant environmental measures
We have experience in the analysis of exogenous and endogenous compounds in cells, tissues, and biological fluids collected from animal models or human subjects. Our analytical capabilities for targeted and broad-spectrum analysis include:
- Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy
- Liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS(n), UPLC-Q-TOF-MS, ion mobility)
- Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC-MS, 2D-GCTOFMS)
- Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry, Orbitrap, and MALDI imaging
Types of Assays
- Broad spectrum metabolomic via UPLC-Q-TOF-MS, 2D-GC-TOF-MS, and NMR
- Targeted quantitative NMR for selected panels of analytes
- Targeted quantitative endocannabinoid analysis
- GC-MS for the measurement of organic acids, free fatty acids, and total fatty acids
- LC-MS/MS for the measurement of acylcarnitines, acyl coenzymes, and amino acids
- Multidimensional NMR methods for metabolite identification
- Metabolic flux analysis
- ICP-MS for metals, minerals, and metallomics
- Environmental measures such as particulate matter mass, tobacco smoke, endotoxins, indicators of molds and fungi, NO2, formaldehyde and other carbonyls, volatile organic compounds, pyrethroids, non-persistent pollutants, phthalate monoesters and metabolites, organophosphorus pesticides, perfluorinated octanyl sulphonates, organochlorine, flame retardants, and hydroxylated metabolites of PCBs and PBDEs
Following signal detection, RTI scientists apply statistical and mathematical tools (e.g., Umetrics, Spotfire, SAS) to identify data trends that show the correlation of specific signals with the phenotypic response under investigation.
Identified signals are mapped to biochemical pathways through the use of specialized software such as GeneGo, and expert biochemist interpretation to derive biomarkers and mechanistic insights.
Preparation of Manuscripts or Grant Proposals
RTI researchers will prepare figures, tables, methods sections, background, and review of literature for manuscript, grant, and contract preparation.
Metabolite Synthesis Capabilities
Our facility is well equipped and staffed for the synthesis and characterization of unlabeled metabolites as well as labeled compounds (such as 13C, 15N, 14C).
RTI has a long history of providing custom synthesis to our clients, including synthesis of small molecules including endogenous steroids, peptides, neurotransmitters, and enzyme inhibitors.